Sudan’s government says it will invite new aid groups to work in Darfur and allow those still operating there to expand their activities. The UN’s head of humanitarian affairs welcomed the move. Sudan expelled 13 foreign aid groups in March after the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.
Meanwhile, the backer of a conference on Darfur says it may be cancelled because of opposition from Sudan. The UN says that up to 300,000 people have died during the conflict in Darfur and 2.7 million driven from their homes. Sudan had agreed last month to allow some aid back into Darfur following its expulsion of humanitarian groups.
On Thursday, the minister for humanitarian assistance, Haroun Lual Ruun, said Khartoum would invite new non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to Darfur. He also said it would allow those UN agencies and NGOs remaining in the Sudanese region to “expand their existing operations”.
“I think what we’re hearing… is that new NGOs with new names, new logos, if necessary, can come in ”
John Holmes UN humanitarian chief .
SOURCED FROM BBC