13 DIE IN GUINEA’S GOLD MINE ACCIDENT


At least 13 people in Guinea have died and five are badly injured after a gold mine they were working in caved in. Guinea’s information minister said 10 people remained unaccounted for. The BBC’s Alhassan Sillah in Guinea says the area around Siguiri town, some 600km (372 miles) north of the capital, Conakry, is rich in gold deposits.

They are mined by giant multi-national firms and by members of the local population, who often take big risks in their search for gold, he says. In some cases, people descend as deep as 70m without protection or protective gear, our correspondent adds.

Information minister Justin Morel Junior made the announcement on state television on Thursday night, but did not give further details about the incident. He said a joint defence and security team had been sent to the scene by the village of Marella, near Siguiri, to investigate.

SOURCED FROM BBC

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: