A hardline faction in Nigeria’s main armed group says it is ending a three-month ceasefire and will resume attacks on the oil industry.
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) had called the truce in the wake of an amnesty offer from the president.
Most Mend commanders and thousands of militants have disarmed under the deal.
Correspondents say the splinter group is tiny and is believed to be led by Henry Okah, freed from prison in July.
It says the Nigerian government has done nothing to address the underlying problems in the oil-producing Niger Delta.
“The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta resumes its hostilities against the Nigerian oil industry, the Nigerian armed forces and its collaborators with effect from 0000 hours Friday, Oct. 16,” the group said in an e-mailed statement.
Mend declared the 60-day ceasefire on 15 July to allow for peace talks shortly after Mr Okah was freed from prison.
It extended the ceasefire by a month in mid-September despite not having held any formal discussions with the government.
Last week, the authorities in Nigeria said as many as 15,000 oil militants active in the delta had surrendered under the two-month amnesty, which expired on 4 October.
SOURCED FROM BBC