France to investigate FLEC leader after Togo attack


France’s public prosecutor ordered an investigation on Friday into Rodrigues Mingas, leader of a faction of a Cabinda separatist group that attacked the Togo soccer team in Angola earlier this month.

A spokesman for the public prosecutor said Mingas would be investigated for justifying terrorist acts, after Angola summoned France’s top diplomat in the country to complain that Paris had not done enough to bring him to justice.

France’s foreign ministry said separately that Mingas was a French national, and called his public comments after the attack “unacceptable”.

The Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC) claimed responsibility for an attack on a bus carrying the Togo soccer team to the African Nations Cup in Angola’s northern province of Cabinda last week, killing two people.

Some FLEC leaders are thought to be living in France, including Mingas, secretary general of a faction of the group known as FLEC/PM, which issued a statement threatening to carry out more attacks in Cabinda.

SOURCED FROM REUTERS

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: